Income, Food, & Job Security

Income Support

Access Wisconsin:  Your connection to programs for Health, Nutrition, and Child Care - (800) 362-3002.

BadgerCare Plus or Medicaid:  Assistance to needy Veterans and family members:  Health care, emergency, and subsistence assistance $7500 lifetime - (800) 362-3002 -

FoodShare (Food Stamps):  Monthly financial assistance with grocery purchases - (800) 362-3002.

W-2 or Wisconsin Works:  Economic support for work program (>115% below Federal Poverty Level [FPL]) - (877) 855-7296.

Wisconsin SHARES:  Contact County Human Services, childcare services for low-income families.

For a list of all Wisconsin Public Benefits, click here.

**Judicare Brochure PDF on pitfalls of overpayments during deployment

Job Security & Unemployment

Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR):  Supports employers regarding USERRA - (608)242-3169

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts:  Assists spouse of lower grade servicemembers with Associates' degree or licensure.  Military OneSource Spouse Career Center:  (800) 342-9647.

Military Spouse Employment Partnership:  Employment recruitment and job board for military spouses.  Here are some suggested links regarding military spouse employment.

Return to Employment:  A servicemember who is employed is entitled to the rights and benefits (employer provided and statutorily mandated) that they would have attained if they remained employed.

Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers (UCS):  Members of the military leaving active duty discharged under honorable conditions unable to find employment may be eligible for UCX.  To file a new claim application:  Call toll-free (800) 822-5246.

The filing process for military service veterans coming off active duty is the same as anyone filing for unemployment benefits.  Your claim cannot start earlier than the week of your separation date, as it appears on your DD214.  For more information, click here.

USERRA:  The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act protects servicemembers’ reemployment rights when returning from a period of service in the uniformed services, including the reserves or National Guard, and prohibits employer discrimination.

  • Covers all uniformed services
  • Honorable, medical, or entry level separation
  • Notify employer prior to deployment
  • No more than 5 years' cumulative service or special circumstances
  • Timely reapplication and report for civilian work

USERRA hotline:  (800) 336-4590 -

Veteran’s Preference:  Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty are entitled to preference over non-veterans in Wisconsin and federal government hiring and retention during reductions-in-force.

United States Dept. of Labor VETS

Veterans’ Employment and Career Transition Advisor:

Wisconsin Job Center Veterans Specialist:  Referral to training, jobs, unemployment, disability, childcare, W-2.  (888) 258-9966 -